Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: My Milo has Cushing's

Default Re: My Milo has Cushing's

We are always grateful when you give us an update on sweet Milo, so thank you once again. Even though Milo’s body isn’t perfect, his spirit is so strong! I wish him a very Happy Birthday :-)))).

That was so kind of your vet to track you down for one more set of tests. I’m so sorry that it sounds as if he won’t be working any more, and I hope you’ll be able to find a new vet. I know that will not necessarily be easy for you. But you’ve done such a wonderful job of taking care of Milo throughout this illness, and I hope you’ll be able to find another vet soon.

As far as his ACTH test, those results are good. We are very glad to see that. Like you, I wish all his other results would also come back into normal range, too. But overall, Milo is doing his best to stay strong. And we’ll surely be hoping that his tooth infection will clear up again soon.

Thanks again for your report. And as always, best wishes to you and Milo!

Marianne

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

bumping up

Hello,
    I'm going to give a status update on my boy. As you already know he has lost a lot of muscle and weight, I think he is suffering from some kind of arthritis. He gets stiff when lying down, and for two days it seems to me that he does not want to lie down, as if it is painful for him and despite that he doesn't have much strength, he's constantly running around and out of breath. Maybe he's in a lot of pain.
    Unfortunately the doctors don't want to do much and I don't know how to alleviate this.
    I will be glad if someone shares an opinion.
    Thanks and hugs to everyone.
    I will try to post an up-to-date photo in the album.

Greetings Snowy and Milo

Hello again to you and sweet Milo! We’re always so glad to hear from you, but very sorry to learn that he’s not feeling well. From our experiences here, we know that arthritis can flare up for dogs who are being treated with Cushing’s medications due to their effects on lowering cortisol. One of the very few benefits of elevated cortisol may be an easing of the inflammatory pain of arthritis. So when the cortisol is lowered, senior dogs in particular may start exhibiting some discomfort. Historically, vets have been cautious about recommending anti-inflammatory meds for Cushpups because they can be hard on the liver and/or kidneys. But I believe there are some newer medications that are not as risky, and have been prescribed for other members here in order to help ease arthritic pain.

It’s been a while since we’ve discussed those specific meds here, and I’d need to go back and review the recommendations. But hopefully some other folks will also stop by with some first-hand experiences to share. Have you discussed arthritis with your vets already, but they’re reluctant to treat it?

Marianne

Galliprant is one that is used a lot in dogs with Cushings since it is much kinder on the liver.

Thank you, Laura!

Thank you as always very responsive.
    Milo was drinking 10 mg in the morning and 5 mg in the evening until now. Now we decided with the doctor from a distance (since he left our city) to give 5 mg in the morning, 5 mg in the evening and add the food supplement YuMOVE Dog. It's day two on this regimen and I can tell it's feeling a little better.
    I will check if we have Galliprant.
    I will keep you posted on developments.

Thank you again and most of all for having you!

My update.
    Last Saturday I saw that Milo refused to eat, so I stopped vetoryl. He resumed feeding from Sunday, but now I have to feed him and melt his muzzle in the water to start drinking. Since yesterday, he has started feeding himself again and drinking water is more difficult, but he is drinking.
    Today, however, I found blood in my urine, but I still ate. I have a vet appointment later and will post what's going on with him.
    On 09/15/2024 I did all sorts of tests and everything was fine.

I’m so sorry to hear about these new problems. I know how worried you must be feeling right now. I think you did exactly the right thing by stopping his Vetoryl for the time being. With the blood in his urine, perhaps he may have a urinary tract infection or a kidney stone and that could explain why he he is not feeling well. Please do let us know what you find out at your vet visit.

In the meantime, sending many hugs to you and your sweet boy.
    Marianne