Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253

Thread: Holidays can be hard...

Default Re: Holidays can be hard...

We had Christmas at my brother's last night and it was really nice. I got to meet 2 new additions to the family - my youngest niece's new hubby and oldest grandson's fiance'. They had all banded together and got a Google Nest Hub for me. Have no earthly idea what that is but they were all very excited about it so I profusely thanked them all. I DO know that my house ain't very smart sooooo.....we will see. LOL There were lots of dogs present as well so I was quite content. Still have a couple of small gatherings to come then it will be back to the norm.

Been a busy day but just for the sake of staying busy. My house is in a perpetual state of chaos these days so I have plenty to do for sure! I have been enjoying putting together a Santa sack for a little boy who stays with his grandma down the street. Big lawn bag with bright ribbons tied around the neck and stuffed with a bunch of odds and ends designed to push the imagination....like some kitchen utensils with a tag that says "Dirt Works".

But now I'm tired and simply because it is Christmas Eve I am going to brew a cup of herbal tea and grab the book I'm reading (psychological thriller The Fifth to Die by JD Barker) then curl up in bed with the dogs for an hour or five.

Happy Holidays to you all! I hope your days are filled with laughter and joy shared with those you love most. And wishes for all the best in 2024 to you and yours.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Merry Christmas!!!

Oh Les and Lori, how good to see you here. It cheers my heart so much as I greet this Christmas morning myself!

Sending much love and many blessings to you both! ❤️❤️

Welp, it feels to me as though this year’s winter holiday season has flown by! But here we are, already greeting another brand new year. Historically, I try to hold onto my Christmas tree for at least a few days after January 1st. The sparkling lights so brighten up the early winter nights. But for some reason my sweet little tree this year just didn’t drink any water, so it’s a bit of a fir mummy at this point. Off came the ornaments today, and it’ll soon be turned into mulch for a garden or to add to the path of a trail. Right at this moment, though, I’m being treated to a stellar pink winter sunset, so Mother Nature is brightening the onset of the evening for me tonight.

Anyway, as always, thanks to all who stopped in at our 2023 Holiday House! And I send my very best wishes for a safe and satisfying new year for all our family.

Take care, all, until our Holiday House reopens once again ;-)))
    Marianne

Hello everybody <waving!!!> I truly can’t believe it, but another year has already rolled by and Halloween is almost here. For me, that means it’s time to reopen the doors to our Holiday House ;-). By now, I’m guessing you all know the drill — all through the fall and winter holidays, we’re here to share the good times as well as the hard times. We know the holidays can be especially bittersweet for those who are missing a loved one, be it human or a furbaby. Although our K9C family has grown smaller through the years, I like to think this thread will remain open throughout the holidays in case anybody — new or old — ever wants to stop by to talk.

As far as Halloween, we’ll be here at home, as usual. My mantel is decorated as is my front door, and the pumpkins are on the steps for carving on the Big Day. I haven’t bought my candy yet, but it’s on the grocery list. It’s always hard to predict how many kids we’ll get, so I definitely make sure to buy my personal favorites in case there’s a lot of candy left over…

The weather here in north Georgia has been crystal clear ever since the passage of Hurricane Helene. Bright blue cloudless sky and crisp days, with the leaves beginning to turn. After getting ten inches of rain with the hurricane, I didn’t think I’d ever be asking for more. But we haven’t had a drop of moisture since and none in the 10-day forecast. So we actually could use a shower once again. Crazy, crazy weather!

Still no new doggie in our hearts and home, so once again the orange Halloween collar will be gracing our front table instead of a sweet furry neck. But maybe by next year…

So that’s the news from my house, and I’ll look forward to hearing from anyone else who may stop by in the coming days. As always, much love to all our family here!

Marianne

I know, Marianne! It seems like I just put it all away....I'm not going overboard this year. Most of it is just going to go to the curb after Halloween, except for my inside things. I still have to find Lena's Boo shirt which is with my specialty things. It will go on the mantel again. Raina will not be wearing it. I bought her a couple of shirts, which I'm sure she will destroy and Sibbie will wear one of her old dresses.

I will do the same as you with candy. I bought a couple of big bags, and a few smaller bags of my favorites in case we don't get a lot of kids trick-or-treaters. I miss the days of sitting on the stoop with Lee, who just loved seeing all the kids and getting her picture taken with them. My last picture of Gable is Halloween 2021, standing behind the gate barking at the kids. He looked absolutely fine and I still can't understand what happened that night. I miss them both every day.

Glynda's post on Facebook about a new group on Librela has me trying to decide if I should continue the shots for Cooper. Some dogs have gotten very bad reactions. I have noticed a few, but can't remember if he showed them before. He was due for his next shot a couple of weeks ago and I think I'm going to stop them. I'll talk with my vet about something else we can give him.

Raina is a joy! And Sibbie seems to adore her, which still has me shocked! It's really just the four of us.

Hubby's cancer is spreading and he is sleeping most of the day and not interested in anything. I doubt very much that I will do Thanksgiving this year. It wouldn't seem fair, he can't really eat any of it, and he always cooks the turkey...I've never made one...none of us has. We'll see, one day at a time is my new motto (lol)!

That's my update for now.

Love to all of you!
    Joan
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Joan, you and your husband have been so often on my mind lately. I’ve been wondering how things were proceeding and am grateful for this update. I continue to wish peace and comfort to your whole family as the future unfolds.

I also send my greetings to all three of your sweet doggies. I am not familiar with Librela — I don’t think it was around when Peg and Luna were so hobbled with their orthopedic issues. I’ve just now Googled it, and will try to learn more about it myself. Especially if we do end up getting another “big” dog in the future, unfortunately I’m guessing arthritis may also be part of the package once again.

As always, so good to hear from you, my friend. Big hugs being sent your way!