PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Vetoryl?

sharpjes
05-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Hello, I'm new here. My dog Midge was recently diagnosed with Cushings, and I am trying to educate myself about it. This forum has been very useful, and I'm grateful it's here as I've already learned a lot from ya'll about this disease. My question tonight is, does anyone know somewhere cheap to get vetoryl, which is what my vet says our girl needs? Unfortunately she is 90lbs, and the cost to get it from our vet, combined with the cost of the regular bloodwork, is more per month than we can afford. I've found one Canadian pharmacy (I'm in the US) that sells it somewhat cheaper, but that makes me nervous. Any experience/suggestions would be much appreciated, as it breaks my heart to watch my angel deteriorate because we can't afford treatment.
Thanks!

goldengirl88
05-18-2014, 06:14 PM
Try Lambert veterinary supply, or California Pet Pharmacy. You need to purchase from a VIPPS pharmacy, they have very strict standards to belong to this pharmacy group. Blessings
Patti

Harley PoMMom
05-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Hi and welcome to you and Midge!

I was wondering if you could tell us more about Midge's history, so I will start with some questions! :eek: What symptoms does she display that led you or your vet to test for Cushing's in the first place? Could you tell us what tests were performed to diagnose the Cushing's and could you post those results? How much does Midge weigh? What is her dose of Vetoryl and is it to be given once or twice a day? Is she taking any other herbs/supplements/medications? Was an urinalysis done, and if so, could you post those results? Was an ultrasound done, and if so, could you post those findings? I am sorry for all these questions but the more we know about sweet Midge the better our feedback will be, ok?

Trilostane is the active ingredient in Vetoryl. And if you get the Trilostane compounded it can be a huge cost savings. I am providing a link to a thread where compounding pharmacies are discussed:Compounding pharmacy questions (http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385&highlight=compounding+pharmacies)

We're here to help in any way we can so do not hesitate to ask all the questions you want.

Hugs, Lori

labblab
05-18-2014, 06:34 PM
Hello and welcome from me, too! You will see that I've taken the liberty of moving your thread here to our main Questions/Discussion forum. I think more members are likely to see your thread and join in the conversation here. ;)

In the event that the cost of brandname Vetoryl remains too expensive for you regardless of source, one option you may discuss with your vet is compounded trilostane. The active ingredient is the same as Vetoryl, but the medication is prepared to order by a compounding pharmacy instead of the brandname drug manufacturer. There have been reports that some compounded products have been more variable in dosing and effectiveness than the brandname drug, and for that reason, some vets prefer that their patients stick with Vetoryl, if possible. But I can certainly understand that the cost of Vetoryl can simply be unaffordable, especially for a 90-pound dog since initial dosing is based upon weight.

If Vetoryl was not an option for me, I would definitely talk to my own vet about substituting compounded trilostane. There are a couple of veterinary pharmacies that our members have used with satisfaction. One popular pharmacy is Diamondback Drugs in Arizona. You can call them to get a price quote. One note: they cannot compound trilostane in the same exact dose as Vetoryl capsules. So the dose cannot be exactly 10, 30, 60, or 120 mg.

One other hint: our experience here is that many dogs require dosing tweaking during the first few months of treatment. So it may be better to order capsules in a smaller unit size so that you can combine or subtract dosing strength more easily. For a 90-pound dog, I am hoping your vet is wanting to start with a dose no larger than 90 mg. If so, you may want to place your first order in compounded capsule strengths of 28 mg. for instance, so that you can "back off" or increase the dose more easily depending upon your dog's response to the drug. Or you could even ask your vet to write a prescription for two unequal capsule strengths to combine (say, one in 58 mg. and the other in 28 mg.). This is what you would have to do with brandname Vetoryl, anyway, in order to arrive at a 90 mg. dose. The pharmacy can help guide you as to which would be the cheaper route to go. But the point being, it will involve more expense at the very beginning to administer multiple capsules, but once your dog stabilizes on any given dose you will then know what single dose to reorder and no capsules will be wasted in the meantime due to being too large if your dog needs a dosing decrease.

Marianne

sharpjes
05-21-2014, 06:52 PM
Thank you all SO much for your helpful and thorough responses. More about Midge... She is a mixed breed, we think Black lab, Chow, Retriever. I adopted her when she was 8 wks from the Humane Society and she just turned 10 in March. As far as the diagnosis, I can't remember what exact tests were done, but I know there were two blood tests. The symptoms she first displayed were increased hunger and thirst. Upon physical exam, the vet noticed enlarged liver and muscle deterioration (which led us to do the bloodwork). This all happened around Christmas, then our first 2-legged child was born at the end of January. So I'm ashamed to say we are just now pursuing treatment options (other than changing her food, monitoring weight, and monitoring water intake, which did then). At our last appt (and when I mentioned finding the meds elsewhere), the vet recommended ordering 60mg pills and giving 1.5 of them (not sure if it will be once or twice daily). We go back next week, so these are all questions I'll be asking the vet. The two online vets (lambert and CA) are the cheapest options for pills I've seen so far, so thank you again. I also was unaware of the compounding option, so I will ask my vet about that as well. Thanks again for all the helpful feedback. I will keep you posted!

goldengirl88
05-21-2014, 07:29 PM
Are you meaning by the 1.5 that you are splitting the capsules?? That is a very dangerous thing to do for you and your dog if that is what you meant. I am wondering as I looked back thru your thread, has any testing been done on your dog as I did not see any mentioned. If that is the case and your vet is wanting you to start your dig on trilostane, I would not do it. I would need the proper testing done to confirm this. I would not want to give these drugs to a dog that does not have Cushing's, as the result could be devastating. When diagnosing Cushing's many factors are considered like clinical symptoms, blood work, ultra sound, LDDS, ACTH, Urine check for diabetes and thyroid panel. If you vet is ready to treat your dog based on blood work and a physical exam, I would be putting the brakes on that. These are powerful drugs, not to be taken lightly. The safety of your dog should be your vets primary concern, and not following proper protocol in making a diagnosis is very disconcerting to me. If you have questions on what your vet should be doing please call Dechra, they will help you, and ask your vet to call them too. I say this only out of concern for your Midge. Blessings
Patti

labblab
05-22-2014, 07:58 AM
I have only a moment to post, but want to say that the manufacturer of Vetoryl specifically warns against opening capsules and splitting the powdered contents. I am guessing your vet is trying to help save you money with this suggestion, but if so, I believe the preferable option would be compounded capsules in a dosage that does not require splitting. Also, if dosing twice daily, the accepted protocol is to halve the daily total, and not double it. So for a 90-pound dog, the conservative approach would be either 90 mg. once daily or 45 mg. twice daily.

Marianne

DaisyBT
07-11-2014, 08:18 PM
Hi Labblab,

Not sure if you've had any luck with finding more affordable Vetoryl, but the cheapest I've found is through Doctors Foster & Smith (online pharmacy). If anyone else has found cheaper elsewhere, would love to know where as it's quite expensive every month.

molly muffin
08-05-2014, 09:33 PM
If anyone is looking, valleyvet.com is having a sale right now on Vetroyl.

10mg/30ct 41.99
30mg/30ct 52.99

Sharlene and molly muffin

jannyw
12-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Hi Labblab,

Not sure if you've had any luck with finding more affordable Vetoryl, but the cheapest I've found is through Doctors Foster & Smith (online pharmacy). If anyone else has found cheaper elsewhere, would love to know where as it's quite expensive every month.
A neighbor of mine suggested www.vetapprovedrx.com ... they seem to have pretty good pricing on Vetoryl.

Dempsey's Mom
01-14-2015, 06:54 PM
I have a box of 30 mg Vetoryl capsules that my 19 lb dachshund cannot use. It's missing 2 capsules so there are 28 capsules in the box. They expire 02/2017. I would love to give it to you. I don't want to post my info online, but let me know if you are interested. Dempsey's Mom in Austin, TX

ScottieBoo
01-14-2015, 07:06 PM
I truly hope you find someone or someplace that can help you. We are struggling just as much. I am so glad I was able to get my vet to match the online price. I feel your pain we are now trying to see how to afford things moving forward. It is crazy the prices of these exams and of the meds!

Good Luck and Take care.

addy
01-14-2015, 07:06 PM
Dear Dempsey's Mom, that is very generous of you, however, our forum rules do not allow prescription medicine to be sent to other members.

I know it is hard to see unused medication sitting there when others need help. Perhaps you could donate it to your local shelter or rescue group.

Thanks again for your generosity. Sorry we can't allow it.