PDA

View Full Version : Don't give up hope

Barb
03-22-2013, 11:24 PM
I had a little wire hair doxie female diagnosed when she was 10 with Cushings.

She had the usual symptoms, excessive water drinking, round tummy and some hair loss. She had the 8 hr test done and was put on Selegiline 5 mg daily. We asked the vet at that time what her prognosis was and we were told maybe 2 more years.

She lived until she was just a bit over 16 years. We always made sure she ate well and I would cook for her. She got vitamins every day.

So don't give up hope. My little girl lived a good life even after being diagnosed with this disease.

Roxee's Dad
03-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Hi Barb and welcome :)

It's nice to hear a positive story. Please tell us more about your baby girl. What type of cushings did she have?

MODERATOR NOTE: Your post has been manually approved so that members can start responding to you. Please check your email for a message from K9cushings. You will need to reply to that email so that your post go directly to the board and are not delayed waiting for approval. If you have already received and responded to the confirmatory email, please be patient. Your registration will be finalized shortly. Thank you. :)

doxiesrock912
03-23-2013, 12:49 AM
Thank you so much for the much needed encouragement Barb! Everyone on this forum has been so helpful and supportive. Our miniature doxie, Daisy Mae "monster" has just been properly diagnosed with Cushing's. I'm quite sure that she's had it for at least 2 - 3 years though. Already, I've had one vet make a serious error by prescribing twice the amount of Trilostane which thankfully, wasn't disastrous.

Long story short, we have an appointment with Dr. Megan Morgan at Cornell in Stamford CT on Friday. No more small town vets for us! At least not unless they're willing to work in conjunction with Megan.

We adore our "monster" and want her around for much longer.

Simba's Mom
03-23-2013, 01:10 AM
Yes Barb, we sure do need to hear the positive stories, I have a mini Doxie too and my small town vet said he was just getting too fat, so glad I switched vets..Simba got properly diagnosed and has been on trislotane for almost 8 months already, wow didn't realize it was that long.

mytil
03-23-2013, 06:59 AM
Thank you Barb for sharing this wonderful story and positive reinforcement that Cushing's can be managed and they can live out their normal life span despite it.

Terry

goldengirl88
03-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Barb:
Hope is about the only thing that keeps us all going, and your babies story was so helpful in restoring the hope in all of us. After all without hope we really have nothing. Thank you and God Bless You.
Patti

Barb
03-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Hi and thanks for the welcome.

My girl had pituitary dependent Cushing's.

The medicine she was on we were told was the mildest that could be given at the time. It was not expensive either as I remember.

I now am owned by 4 doxies. Three rescue's and one we bought as a pup.

I am making sure they all get vitamins, probiotic's omega oil and good food & exercise.

We also had our little girl taking milk thistle. Vet gave her Denosyl for her liver but she could not take it. I think the milk thistle helped her.

You do the best you can. When she was first diagnosed I was scared to death.

I saw this link on another site last night. I sure wish I knew about it back in 2008.

Stay positive because you know the pups pick up your vibes.:)

I'll see if I can post a photo of her. I know I have one where her tummy looks so round and it wasn't from eating.

molly muffin
03-23-2013, 07:06 PM
Hearing positive stories like yours give so much hope to so many. Thank you so much for this.

People who arrive here, usually do in a state of terror for their precious companions.

Everyone seems to be told that 2 years is it. I wish that vets wouldn't do that. It scares people needlessly. Yes you have to learn a lot, but if one does and if they can find a vet who will work with them, then the prognosis is not so dire at all. It is just something that needs to be regulated.

Again thank you so much. Ahhh, life to be owned by 4 little ones!!! Must keep you pretty busy. :) Your baby was just precious, love the avatar.

Sharlene and Molly Muffin

Trish
03-23-2013, 11:43 PM
Hi
This is very cool, just what was needed in here at the moment with so many new cases. Lovely of you to pop in and post this! Thank you!

Trish

infoviewer
03-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Thanks so much for your positive words. So sorry for your loss of your sweet pup. I also have a funny mini Doxie and this is my third one. I just love the dachshunds, but hey I love all kinds of pets. Love, JoAnne

Boriss McCall
03-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Thank you for posting! I love the hope your positive story gives.;)