PDA

View Full Version : My boy has an adrenalectomy today

Shabba
03-14-2013, 02:35 AM
Shabba is an 11 year old Shiba-Inu. He was diagnosed with Cushings 7 years ago. For the last five years he has been doing great on a daily dose of Trilostane. He is a happy, hungry albeit overweight and sluggish sausage of a dog. He is a loyal friend with a heart of gold and is an adored member of the family. Recently, he was diagnosed with anemia. The vet believes he had a rupture of an adrenal tumor that he was able to heal on his own. Tomorrow morning Shabba is scheduled for an adrenalectomy. I understand this is a dangerous surgery and the first 48 hours are crucial. Has anyone else had an adrenalectomy and if so what should I expect. Any advice, thoughts or prayers are greatly appreciated.

Squirt's Mom
03-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Hi and welcome to you and your sweet boy! :)

My! Your vet thinks an adrenal tumor ruptured and healed itself? WOW! If that is the case, you baby boy will be in the medical journals, I would think, as a miracle pup! :D That's amazing!

It is my prayer that Shabba sails through surgery this morning and is soon back home in your loving arms where he belongs. Please stay in touch today and let us know how things are going as you can. I know you are in a state of high worry and, if you are anything like me, you are bawling your eyes out, jabbering nonsense to anyone who slows down near you, pacing the floor and gnawing on your fingernails. :o:p You aren't alone today....you have many folks, strangers at this point, right by your side, holding your hand, praying with you.

Hang in there!
Hugs,
Leslie and the gang

gabelle1995
03-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Hi. I don't have any experience with adrenalectomy, sorry. But I just wanted to send some good thoughts to you and Shabba for a successful surgery and recovery. :)

Good luck!

Dodie
03-14-2013, 10:43 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hope everything goes well. I know that terrible feeling of worry.

Dodie & molly

Mel-Tia
03-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Thinking of you and Shabba, hope you hear all is well soon. We all know that the waiting to hear is the worst

I have no experience of the surgery but am sure our regulars who have will be in soon

Mel
Xxxx

Squirt's Mom
03-14-2013, 12:12 PM
any word yet? Not sure when they got started but gotta check in and see how you are doing! Let us hear from you when you can.

Hugs,
Leslie and the gang

molly muffin
03-14-2013, 05:45 PM
checking in here too!! Hope everything is going okay

Sharlene and Molly Muffin

scoora
03-14-2013, 10:13 PM
Hope everyting went well with the surgery.

Roxee's Dad
03-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Keeping all fingers and paws crossed for Shabba.

Jenny & Judi in MN
03-14-2013, 11:45 PM
how did it go?

Simba's Mom
03-15-2013, 12:53 AM
Sending prayers, hope to hear soon....

Trish
03-16-2013, 12:54 AM
Hi! How is Shabba doing??? Hoping to hear some good news soon :) I do have experience with adrenalectomy, my boy Flynn had one 3 months ago. So ask away if you have any questions, be very happy to help with anything! Sending good healing thoughts to you and Shabba!

Squirt's Mom
03-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Checking in to see how things are going. I hope the surgery was a success and Shabba is recovering well, soon to be home.

Mel-Tia
03-17-2013, 04:57 PM
Hope you and Shabba are ok and that he is recovering nicely

Shabba
03-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone for their kind wishes and support. Shabba had his adrenal gland removed. So far he has been doing well and resting at home. He's on a bunch of medication and will be doing an ACTH in 10 days to check his levels. So far he is doing fantastic.

scoora
03-18-2013, 08:45 AM
That is great news! So glad to hear everything went well and he is doing fantastic.
Big hugs.

gabelle1995
03-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Keep us posted on Shabba's progress. :)

Mel-Tia
03-18-2013, 09:04 AM
That is good news

Go Shabba :D

Squirt's Mom
03-18-2013, 09:30 AM
That is great news! :) I hope the recovery is swift and uneventful. Keep in touch and let us know how things are going.

Hugs,
Leslie and the gang

Dodie
03-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Great News! Keep us posted.

molly muffin
03-18-2013, 06:22 PM
So happy to hear the good news that the surgery went fine and he is resting at home.

As Trish mentioned, she just went through the adrenal surgery about 3 months ago with her Flynn.

Let us know how things are going when you get a chance.

Skye
03-18-2013, 11:09 PM
i am late!!!! sorry i didnt get posted to your thread sooner. I am so glad things went well. My little one had her left one removed 13 months ago.
hope all continues to go beautifully!!! you are amongst awesome angels here. You will have amazing support, and there is abundant experiences shared.
hope we here more great news!!!!

Trish
03-19-2013, 05:10 AM
So pleased to hear Shabba is home and recovering well, is everything still going good? They are so resiliant, even when they are so sick. Sounds like so far, so good. What meds is Shabba taking? Pooping good? Eating? Hopefully not too sore and is taking it easy and resting up! Keep it up Shabba, you doing good :)

Squirt's Mom
03-19-2013, 09:29 AM
How are you and Shabba doing today?

Trish
03-24-2013, 02:50 AM
Love to hear how Shabba is doing when you have time to post, paws crossed he keeps doing well :D
Trish

Shabba
03-24-2013, 05:41 AM
Thank everyone for their kind wishes of support. Shabba seems to be doing well. I was able to stop his pain meds and he is still on prednisone, high blood pressure meds and anti-biotics three times a day. He is scheduled to return to the vet on Wednesday to have his staples removed and to have another ACTH Stimulation Test. He has not been on Trilostane since his adrenalectomy. The vet hopes that his Cushing's symptoms might improve due to removal of the gland. His biopsy came back as a benign tumor. He appears to be drinking more frequently, but this could be due to the meds or possible cushingoid symptoms. Either way, he seems happy, pain free and pretty normal. So I am viewing the surgery as a success. Especially since the mortality rate is very high. I will post the results of his ACTH Test as soon as I receive them from the vet. Again, Shabba, The Fur Kids and I thank you for your concern.

molly muffin
03-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Awesome news that Shabba is doing so good. I agree with your vet and hope that having the adrenal gland removed will solve the whole cushings issue. Anytime one of our furbabies comes out of a surgery well we are all so thrilled. It's always scary when they have to be under anesthesia. I think we get group anxiety around here until we hear that everything is fine. :)

Hugs to you, scritches to Shabba and fur kids.

Squirt's Mom
03-24-2013, 09:55 AM
So, glad to hear that Shabba is doing well! :) It is my understanding that after an adrenalectomy, it can take a little while for the remaining adrenal gland to "wake up" and go to work so it isn't uncommon to see cushing's signs for a while after the surgery. The pred will also cause cush signs.

You are doing a good job, Mom! Let us know how things are going as you can!
Hugs,
Leslie and the gang

Kristine
03-24-2013, 11:10 PM
Thoughts and prayers sent your way. Hope the surgery went well.