PDA

View Full Version : Lysodren Medication

barbarosa
02-12-2013, 07:44 PM
I am new to this forum as a participator. I have come here to get invaluable information over the past year, when our 11yr. old beautiful dog Harley was diagnosed with Cushing's disease. Sadly yesterday morning Harley lost his battle with this disease, and we had to make the heart wrenching decision to let him go.

We had to reload him once again with Lysodren. He had been on a maintenance dose for a couple of months, then through the testing found his numbers back up to 14. Harley was a beautiful 96 pound mix of golden retriever and ridgeback. We were near the end of loading and monitoring his water and food intake closely, along with the other physical signs. He was getting 4 lysodren split in half during the day after each meal. After 6 days nothing changed. The drinking water was out of control, and he was whining for more. He ate his food without pausing, and his back legs were even more unsteady. At this point we were so confused because he didn't exhibit any behaviors as in the first time we loaded him. He then refused to go out to the bathroom, and urinated laying down, then starting drinking his pee. At this point we administered prednisone to bring him back. The next morning he was able to get up but his breathing was labored. My baby boy had lost all quality of life. The last month has been drinking water without ever having enough, and just making it out the door to go potty.

We took him to the vet, and at that point realized how very distended his stomach was, he had sores on different parts of his body, and his breathing was labored. I made the heart wrenching decision to let him go, because his life lacked any joy and quality. When I am able to put my records together, I will post numbers of bloodwork over the term of this disease.

We made informed decisions and knew all the right questions to ask the vet, and that was because of the wonderful threads on the Cushing's forum.

addy
02-12-2013, 08:49 PM
I am so sorry to read your post about your precious Harley. I dont know what happened to Harley and I am so sorry that you had to make the decision you did.

I am glad that this forum helped you this last year and that you came to tell us of your journey. We are here to help you and support you in any way we can.

Sending love and prayers for you and your family.

Jenny & Judi in MN
02-12-2013, 10:07 PM
I am so so sorry you lost your boy. I'd love to see a picture. We were fortunate that Jenny had crappy skin and fur but never had the sores.

RIP to your boy. hugs, Judi

Concernedmom
02-12-2013, 10:31 PM
I too am very sorry for your loss of Harley. This is a great gift you've given Harley. They do depend on us to make the hard choices.
I hope you have peace and comfort in the coming days. Big Hug to you and your family

mytil
02-13-2013, 05:49 AM
I am so very sorry you have lost your Harley. I know how very painful these decisions are, but in our hearts we know we do it for them.

I would love to see a photo of your dear boy.

I have also added your Harley to our very special remembrance list - http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4794 where he will be honored always.

Please stay with us -
(((hugs)))
Terry

Squirt's Mom
02-13-2013, 08:26 AM
Dear Barbarosa,

I am so sorry to read about your sweet boy but it sounds as if you made the right decision, setting him free when you had done all within your power to help him. It is one of the hardest things we are ever asked to do, and one of the greatest gifts we can give our babies. And I know your baby boy is ever so grateful for all that you did on his behalf.

When you are ready, we would love to celebrate his life with you through your memories. You can post a tribute or memorial to him in the In Loving Memory section. Please know we are here for you any time you wish to talk.

Our deepest sympathies,
Leslie, Squirt, Trinket, Brick, Sophie and our Angel, Ruby, Crystal and Tasha

Weep not for me though I am gone, into that gentle night.
Grieve if you will, but not for long, upon my soul's sweet flight.
I am at peace, my soul's at rest; There is no need for tears.
For with your love I was so blessed for all those many years.
There is no pain, I suffer not, the fear now all is gone.
Put now these things out of your thoughts, in your memory I live on.
Remember not my fight for breath, remember not the strife...
Please do not dwell upon my death, but celebrate my life.

molly muffin
02-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Oh I am so sorry that you lost your beautiful Harley. Was there a reason given as to what actually caused the final problems, as that doesn't sound like what you normally see in regards to cushings and loading.
I am glad that we were able to be of some help to you along the way. The journey is long with cushings and often bumpy.

hugs,
Sharlene and Molly Muffin