PDA

View Full Version : bladder infections due to cushings

cathyeville
01-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Hi, This is my first post, but I've hovered a bit...haha. My female Boston 12 1/2 yrs was diagnosed w/cushings last year. She's on trilostane and the dosage seems to be working for the cushings. Before the diagnosis, she had her first bladder infection ever and sometime before that, had crystals in the urine. Put her on c/d for the crystals and they cleared up. Switched her back to reg food, but it was back to c/d when crystals showed up again. We've had her on antibiotics for the bladder infection, it clears up, but appears again within weeks. My vet finally had the urine cultured and put her on an antibiotic that should have worked for that particular bacteria. Roxy was on the pills for 2 months but another bladder infection showed up within 3 weeks. My vet is going to order cranberry powder and we'll add that to the mix......any suggestions for the bladder infections?

frijole
01-14-2013, 10:57 PM
As you've figured out cush dogs are prone to bladder infections. What is surprising to me is that your babe keeps getting the stones too. My cush dog had to have her stones surgically removed. A few years later she got the cushings dx but I'm sure she had it then I just didn't know it.

Anyway I bought a powdered mixture and put it on her food and it prevented stones. Then I switched her off of the prescription dog food that she was on (probably c/d) because she refused to eat it and frankly her hair was awful, she was lethargic and I could tell the food wasn't giving her the nutrition she needed. I switched to Solid Gold all natural ingredient Holystique dog food and both my dogs acted like pups and their hair improved so much. I could not believe it. I never had any issues with stones after that. She never had any bladder infections after that either.

Obviously this might not work in your case but sharing just in case and perhaps someone else can recommend foods that work just as well as c/d. My understanding is that there is something in SOME (not all) foods that causes the stones so you simply need to find a healthy food that doesn't contain those ingredients. Sorry I cannot recall the specifics. Someone will chime in hopefully.

Assume your dog's cushings is under control and that cortisol is within desired range. Congrats. Kim

cathyeville
01-15-2013, 12:15 AM
Roxy hasn't had stones, just crystals....same as my male cat! The c/d seems to keep both of them clear of the crystals. After her diagnosis, I also took her to a holistic Vet who uses chinese herbs and acupuncture. My reg vet has worked with Dr Peggy and encouraged me to go. Dr Peggy put Roxy on liquid herbs for her skin and I couldn't believe the difference in less than 30 days. I've never seen her hair look so good! She's been on some type of oil capsules since she was a year or two and now doesn't need them.
My sister's dog developed crystals and she uses a powder in the food. Roxy's crystals aren't the type that will disappear using the powder...:( I'll look for the food you mentioned and see if it might work for Roxy. Thanks Cathy

frijole
01-15-2013, 07:03 AM
Gotchya on the crystals. There are lots of all natural foods that are wonderful. With cush dogs you are looking for a food that is low in fat and fairly high in protein. The food I mentioned could use a bit more protein. A good pet food store can give you plenty of options to try. Kim

goldengirl88
01-15-2013, 08:24 AM
Hi everyone:
Could someone please tell me what the "powder" is that you are adding to the food to prevent bladder infections/crystals??? Also I need help with this question. When your dog has the muscle contractions at night is it the Vetoryl side effects or is it uncontrolled cortisol?? Thank you all in advance.

cathyeville
01-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Apparently there are 2 types of crystals in dogs. Roxy's type doesn't respond to the powder but my sister's dog does. Your vet should be able to tell you. The powder is potassium citrate. My sister gets it through www.1800petmeds.com It's about $20us for a container.

I can't give you an answer on the night time muscle contractions. So far, Roxy doesn't have any side effects from the Trilostane. I would post that question under its own heading. good luck Cathy