PDA

View Full Version : 14 yo Ital Greyhound Mix - should I test for Cushings?

miketmartin
10-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Hi all,

I just recently found out about Cushings after doing some research of my own and I came across this forum, so I haven't been able to read up on too many posts yet.

My guy, Allyn, just recently became sick around the end of Sept. It began with some slight lethargy and he then began peeing in the house. Up until that point, he was still very active and would go on 2 mile jogs with me a couple times a week.

The vet first did a urinalysis and said that his urine seemed to be concentrated well so they thought maybe his bladder was weakening with old age. So she tried Proin. After a week of that, I didn't like how it was making him act and it wasn't working, so we took him off and took him back in. This time we did blood work and because his BUN was elevated, she told me that his kidneys were failing and he had about a month to live (this was about 3 weeks ago or so)

I've since had him back in to the vet one other time and he is now on Amlodipine to control his blood pressure.

However, from everything I've read about renal failure, he should be nauseous, stop eating, and losing weight. However, since this all started he has been eating like a pig. He's gone from 29 lbs up to 38 lbs. He seems depressed and kind of just mopes around when we go for walks. He often wakes up at night panting and pacing around. And his back legs have become very weak. He has trouble getting up the steps to my apartment - steps that he was just running up about 2 months ago. I now either have to carry him and walk behind him and help him up. He'll sometimes be standing and one of his back legs will give out and he falls down.

I've been very close to taking him in to be put to sleep, but he's been doing pretty well the last few days.

My question is, should I have him tested for Cushings? Is it worth it at this point (He'll be 15 if he makes it to December) ? The appetite thing and weight gain is how I found Cushings, so it just has me wondering if there is something more to this that the vet overlooked...

Thanks.

labblab
10-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Hello and welcome!

Boy, other than the concentrated urine, the symptom profile you are describing certainly does sound consistent with the possibility of Cushing's. Aside from the elevated BUN, do you know whether there were any other lab abnormalities? Cushing's dogs typically exhibit elevated liver enzymes and often elevated cholesterol, as well. And if your vet is fearing that Allyn is approaching end-stage renal disease, there would have been other lab abnormalities, too, associated with his kidney function.

Like you, I am wondering whether your vet is missing the boat in terms of the renal diagnosis being the underlying source of Allyn's problems. It would help us tremendously if you could get a copy of all recent labwork (including urinalysis) and post any abnormal readings (either high or low). From what you have described so far, I do not think it is far-fetched to consider Cushing's as a possibility. But it will help a great deal if we can look over any diagnostic testing that has been performed thus far.

Welcome to you and Allyn -- I am so glad you've found us!
Marianne

molly muffin
10-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Hello and welcome.

Marianne has already mentioned about posting the abnormal lab results. Those results in addition to the symptoms is what we use to determine what next steps to take. If you don't have those, then stop by the vets and get a copy. If you do not feel that this is a correct diagnosis from your vet, ask for a consult to an IMS, or contact an IMS to look into what is gong on with Allyn. Sometimes GP vets do not have the knowledge or experience to deal with cushings and other internal diseases. Some are good with working with an IMS, others are not.

Sharlene and Molly Muffin

gummysmurf
10-31-2012, 11:54 AM
Definitely go see an IMS. I recently had two really scary diagnosis from my vets (at different times) and both were completely debunked by the IMS, making me very much relieved. My dog does not have bladder cancer and he is not in heart failure, thank you very much!

I think it's definitely worth a second opinion, the sooner the better!