PDA

View Full Version : 7 years Yorkie just diagnosed Cushing's

katie
03-24-2010, 05:58 AM
My sweet boy Nel Nel just diagnosed Cushing's disease through a positive ACTH stimu test last week. The baseline is over 200, 2 hours later the result is >800, I couldn't remember what measuring unit the vet use. He will has his ultrasound and LDDST tomorow to confirmed whether it's PDH or ADH. What concerns me most is he just had a major surgery done in January because he swallowed a lamp bone accidentally which stuck in his oesophagus and need to take it out by surgery. His abdominal wound took 4 weeks to heal completely. Before the surgery, he has symptoms of increase appetite, hair loss(no hair along the back), very thin skin and calcified lumps in rear back of the skin. After the surgery, he developed skin problems and with huge bruise over neck and chest everytime after invasive procedures, like blood taking. Now, he's begging for food every 3-4 hours after eating. He has no excessive drinking or urinating problems, and he's very very hyperactive with a bit of temper, he doesn't like his little brother, Hugo(a siberian husky), loves to bite Hugo's nose if he gets too close to me!
On the other hand, as Nel Nel only weighs 3.5lbs(he is a tiny Yorkie, never weighs over 4lbs), the potential side effect of the medication worries me. Do any of you know any natural treatment can control the symptoms of Cushing's? What should I ask the vet tomorrow?

mytil
03-24-2010, 06:51 AM
Hi and Welcome to our site, you will find a wealth of information and support here.

I would suggest you obtain a hard copy (photocopied) of the test results your vet starting with the ACTH stim test. I know that way you will be able to let us know what measuring unit is right after the numbers of 200 and >800.

Here are some wonderful links in understanding cushings more http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216 as well as this one http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180.

Cushings can be a difficult condition to diagnose as there are other conditions that mimic cushings symptoms (ie. thyroid problems and even diabetes).

In my opinion I would wait until all the tests are in and especially after such a major surgical procedure before I would start giving any meds or even herbal supplements. And on that note, no I have not come across any natural or herbal treatments that actually work - some may help with some symptoms but do not get to and correct the root of the problem (excess cortisol being produced by the body).

Please post those test result numbers and keep us posted on the LDDS and ultrasound results.

Glad you found us
Terry

Franklin'sMum
03-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Hi Katie,
Welcome to you and Nel Nel, but so sorry you may have the need. This is an incredibly caring, supportive and knowledgeable group of people, and they have saved my sanity on many occasions :).
Looking forward to hearing more about you both,
Jane, Franklin and Bailey xxx
________
Outdoor Movies (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/30/outdoor/videos/1)

littleone1
03-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Hi Katie,

Corky and I also want to say hi and welcome you both to a very wonderful group of very caring, supportive, and knowledgeable people.

I know that Cushings can be very frightening, but you will get very good advice and help from the members here. They have definitely helped us maintain our sanity, and have done a lot of handholding to help us get through this.

Terri

Roxee's Dad
03-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Hi and welcome from me too, :)

First I want to say I am sorry for the circumstances that brought you and Nel here but am very glad you found us. It sounds as though your vet is taking the correct steps to properly diagnose cushing's as no single test can confirm.

Some of the symptoms you describe are definitely those of cushings. Typically a pup with cushing's will develop a huge appetite and sometimes looking to steal food that may be left around. Drinking lots of water, peeing buckets. Many times they will lose their beautiful coat, wounds take longer to heal and often times develop skin conditions.

With proper diagnosis and treatment, Nel will go on to return to a pretty much normal life, many pups here have been on treatment for more than 5 to 8 years. Noting that they were diagnosed later in their life span. :)

Cushing's is not a death sentence but it does take a diligent pet owner to work together with the vet to properly start and maintain treatment.

Please do post the test results including the blood test. Only need to post the abnormal results with ref. ranges. The others as I affectionately call them will be by to help you sort through this.

Typical treatments are Trilostane, and Lysodren. In rare cases (about 10 to 15 %) Anipryl may be helpful. Take a step back, look into our "Information and Resources" section

Please come back and update us after you return from the vet's today. You will have many questions and we will be very happy to help you through this. :D

katie
03-25-2010, 05:36 AM
Thank you all !! I'm really glad I find this forum too! I got the copy of the ACTH stimu test result: baseline CORT = 201.4nmol/L, ACTH Stim CORT = > 827.7nmol/L. What does it mean?

Franklin'sMum
03-25-2010, 06:34 AM
ACTH stimu test result: baseline CORT = 201.4nmol/L, ACTH Stim CORT = > 827.7nmol/L. What does it mean?

Hi Katie,
I'm going to guess that you're not in the USA, because your results are listed in nmol (most US members results are listed in ugdl), so here's the conversion-baseline 7.29ugdl, post stim 30ugdl.

Pretty much it means that cushings could be a possibility. Anything over 20 or 22 ugdl (mental blank :o) as the post score means further testing will be required. Please keep in mind that a number of things can cause elevated cortisol (hypothyroidism, diabetes, stressed from the vet visit, and any underlying non adrenal illness), so don't freak out, just yet, k?:).

Has the vet told you when you might receive the LDDS and Ultrasound results? Fringers are crossed for you and Nel Nel, and hope the above info helps a little,
Jane, Franklin and Bailey xxx
________
Two and a half men dicussion (http://www.tv-gossip.com/two-half-men/)

mytil
03-25-2010, 06:41 AM
Hey again Katie,

I do agree with Jane here. (To convert from nmol/L to ug/dl divide the nmol number by 27.59).

I am glad you will be having a LDDS and ultrasound as part of the further diagnositic testing.

Here is a link how to read the ACTH diagnositic test as well as the others (http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217) from our Resources Section.

Continue to keep us posted.
Terry

PS - let us know when this ACTH test was given? I am wondering because of the major surgery he had in Jan and the healing time of which could have an affect on the results.